1. The ASEAN Ministers of Agriculture and Forestry and the Ministers of Agriculture of the People’s Republic of China, Japan and the Republic of Korea held their seventh meeting in Bangkok on 2 November 2007, under the chairmanship of H.E. Professor Dr. Thira Sutabutra, Minister of Agriculture and Cooperatives, Thailand.
2. The Ministers were pleased with the substantive accomplishments under the ASEAN Plus Three cooperation in agriculture, fisheries and forestry, particularly in cooperation on alleviating poverty and strengthening food security as well as human development activities. The Ministers expressed their satisfaction on the project activities as well as the solid progress made in evaluation of those activities as instructed by the 6th AMAF Plus Three Meeting.
3. The Ministers from the Plus Three Countries (People’s Republic of China, Japan and Republic of Korea) reiterated their support in the implementation of the Vientiane Action Programme (VAP), as well as in providing technical assistance in narrowing development gaps and accelerating integration of agriculture as a sustainable sector for economic and social development.
4. The Ministers recognised the necessity for conserving the natural environment and preserving the social and cultural tradition of rural communities while promoting a sustainable development in agriculture, forestry and fishery sectors. Moreover, the Ministers recognised that agriculture, which is the foundation of each and every society, should be maintained and developed to secure a stable supply of safe foods to their own peoples.
5. The Ministers noted the implementation of the East Asia Emergency Rice Reserve (EAERR) Pilot Project activities, which provided valuable experiences in meeting the humanitarian needs during periods of emergencies and natural disasters. The Ministers approved the recommendation of the Project Steering Committee of EAERR to extend the EAERR Pilot Project to one more year.
6. The Ministers agreed to the proposed Project Implementation Plan for the second-phase of the ASEAN Food Security Information System (AFSIS) Project. The Ministers welcomed the financial contribution for the second-phase of the AFSIS project from Japan.
7. The Ministers reaffirmed continuing efforts by the ASEAN Plus Three Countries to control and eradicate Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) that remains a serious threat to the region. The Ministers recognised regional collaboration effort with international agencies such as the Asian Development Bank (ADB), Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and the World Animal Health Organization (OIE) to control and eradicate HPAI.
8. The Ministers endorsed 9 new project proposals from the Plus Three Countries, which aim to build capacity in various aspects such as agricultural statistical analysis, food standards, post-harvest management, agricultural extension, HPAI control, and plant quarantine, as well as to establish regular forum for plant variety protection systems and biomass energy.
9. The Ministers agreed to have their eighth meeting in Viet Nam in 2008. The Ministers expressed their sincere appreciation to the Government and People of Thailand for the warm hospitality and excellent arrangements made for the Meeting.
The Meeting was attended by:
- H.E. Pehin Dato Dr. Haji Ahmad Haji Jumat, Minister of Industry and Primary Resources, Brunei Darussalam
- H.E. Mr. Chan Tong Yves, Secretary of State of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Cambodia
- H.E. Mr. M.S Kaban, Minister of Forestry, Indonesia
- H.E. Mr. Sitaheng Rasphone, Minister of Agriculture and Forestry, Lao PDR
- H.E. Tan Sri Dato’ Haji Muhyiddin bin Haji Mohd Yassin, Minister of Agriculture and Agro-Based Industry, Malaysia
- H.E. Major General Htay Oo, Minister of Agriculture and Irrigation, Myanmar
- H.E. Dr. Segfredo R. Serrano, Undersecretary, Department of Agriculture, Philippines
- H.E. Dr. Mohamad Maliki bin Osman, Parliamentary Secretary for National Development, Singapore
- H.E. Professor Dr. Thira Sutabutra, Minister of Agriculture and Cooperatives, Thailand
- H.E. Dr. Cao Duc Phat, Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Viet Nam
- H.E. Mr. Wei Chao’an, Vice Minister of Agriculture, People’s Republic of China
- H.E. Mr. Hiromi Iwanaga, Senior Vice-Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Japan
- H.E. Dr. Park, Hae-Sang, Vice Minister of Agriculture & Forestry, Republic of Korea
- H.E. Mr. Ong Keng Yong, Secretary–General of ASEAN